We are delighted to be supporting the ‘Scare to Stay In’ Safer_HALLOWEEN_Activity_Pack_(download pack) which is filled with a range of family fun competitions and activities that are designed to assist families have fun at home this Halloween while also connecting with their community through the use of technology and fun competitions.
Safer Halloween is a project within the South West Regional Drug and Alcohol Task Force’s Safer Communities Program, operating as Safer Celbridge and Safer Maynooth.
SAFER stems from and builds on an acronym used by the World Health Organisation (WHO) for five high impact strategic actions on reducing alcohol harm:
- Strengthen restrictions on alcohol availability.
- Advance and enforce drink driving countermeasures.
- Facilitate access to screening, brief interventions, and treatment.
- Enforce bans or comprehensive restrictions on alcohol advertising, sponsorship, and promotion.
- Raise prices on alcohol through excise taxes and pricing policies.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) advocates community-action to reduce risky alcohol consumption and harm, arguing that community leadership and locally based action is key to building healthier communities and reducing the levels of harm currently being experienced at the local level.
The aim of SAFER Halloween is to create awareness of and where possible reductions in rates of problem drinking, underage drinking and alcohol-related harm, by focusing on promotion of positive community action which builds on the sense of community spirit and connectedness, for a healthier community.